How to Get Your Website on Google News: Guide for 2022
Google News Guide
The Google News aggregator gathers content from more than 20,000 sources around the world. It is an effective instrument for consumers to obtain the most recent local news.
TIPSThe Google News service is available in roughly 30 languages.
Readers receive a news aggregation on a number of themes and categories thanks to the service’s monitoring of news websites for the most pertinent information. Google News is a further source of website traffic for news organizations.
You may find out how to sign up for Google News and its criteria in this review. You will get the essential advice for being accepted by Google News.
You must first adhere to Google’s rules before submitting your website for inclusion in Google News. Check to see if your news source complies with Google’s guidelines in order to compete with other publications.
- Webmaster’s Directive
- content guidelines
- technical specifications
The first rule is about making it easier for Google to find and comprehend the content of your site. It offers both qualitative comments and technical advice for enhancing Google bot exposure on your website.
The fundamental guidelines you must adhere to are as follows:
- Create helpful content that stands out from the competition and offers readers a special benefit.
- Include no false information.
- Design pages primarily for users rather than merely search engines with an emphasis on user-friendliness.
- To increase website rankings in Google search, avoid utilizing gimmicks. Instead of attempting to manipulate your search engine ranking, ask yourself, “What will improve the user experience?”
The other two recommendations are made expressly for website owners who want Google News to feature their material.
The service’s content policies specify the criteria for producing content that can be accepted. For instance, you must include independent and original news as well as dates, bylines, contact information, and other pertinent details. The encouragement of violence or hatred against any group of individuals is not permitted on Google (no racism, homophobia, etc.).
On Google’s support page, you may read more about the service policies.
Technical indexing recommendations demonstrate how to facilitate Google bots’ page-crawling of news websites. Both the website’s overall structure and each page’s specific article requirements have guidelines.
The most crucial technical advice from Google on how to be listed in Google News is summarized here.
For every content on your website, use static, unique URLs.
To control how the Google News bot crawls your content, use the robots.txt file and meta descriptions.
In order for web crawlers to see website content and article links, use HTML. It is impossible to crawl non-HTML stuff.
For the benefit of crawlers, decrypt media content (audio, video, etc.) and add a text description to it.
After Google has validated your website, submit a Google News Sitemap in the Search Console.
Adding your website
To submit your website to Google News, you can do so using one of two tools:
If your articles satisfy the criteria and contain original content, they may actually be automatically included. Your chances of being viewed by the web crawler will, however, rise if you submit an XML Sitemap to Google Search Console.
Google News Publisher
To apply for your website to be included in Google News:
- Go to Google News Publisher Center.
- Verify your website ownership in the Search Console.
- Send your request for inclusion.
- Add site details and update news section URLs.
- Click ‘Submit’.
The Google team will review your request within a few weeks. You will receive an answer in your News Publisher account. Depending on the content quality, your website will be included or rejected. If a web source is not accepted, the owner can make changes according to the service requirements and apply again, but you must wait for two months.
Google News Producer
News Producer allows publishers to manage the appearance of their news on tablets and phones. You can use News Publisher to suggest your website for Google News, however, Producer helps in publishing articles and monetization of your content.
There is no guarantee that your article will appear in the Google News app after adding publications through News Producer. As before, their inclusion is based on content quality and its value for users.
Increasing your chances to get listed in Google News
We have compiled detailed general tips on how to appear in Google News, to make it easier for publishers to design their websites such that they adhere to Google’s service requirements.
Write niche content
Websites that serve a specific niche have a greater chance to get approved than those which cover a wide range of different topics. Google News service primarily accepts news websites rather than company blogs or commercial websites with news sections. You can try to give Google News bots access only to the news section, but it would be better to have a news website on a separate domain; it will more likely get crawled.
Furthermore, the Google News team looks at daily articles updates to help determine the trustworthiness of a website.
When submitting a website using News Publisher, it is best to define some source labels for your content. Source labels help users find the information they seek.
Read more about source labels.
Frequently updated content has to be unique and relevant. However, readability is a major factor in the quality of an article. Experienced editors will not publish articles that are of poor quality – with incorrect grammar or spelling. Google News staff does a manual quality check of website content before they make their final decision. They also test website usability to determine if it is reader-oriented. For example, you should avoid distracting ads and focus on your core content. And, the number of PR articles should be very limited.
Authority in a particular industry makes your content especially valuable. If your articles are the main source of information on a specific topic, you are an influencer. Your opinion matters. Other websites will refer to your web pages, and other publishers will interview you as an industry expert. In the same way, as reputable websites get high ranks in search engines, they are welcomed by Google News.
Another indicator of the trustworthiness of a website is the bylines and information blocks about the authors’ expertise. Engaging multiple authors, you can cover more topics, and publish posts more frequently.
Use correct format
Text is the only type of information that Google News bots can assess. Therefore, the first tip on how to get trending news on Google is to make your pages readable for crawlers. For example, if an article is a PDF file pasted onto the page, the bot will not “appreciate” it. Whenever possible, convert any non-readable elements into editable text. When you can’t, add a textual description of them (video, audio, etc.).
Unreadable URLs negatively impact the chance that an article will be shown in Google News. Create a URL commensurate with the title of an article. For example, WordPress has a ‘Permalink Settings’ option for assigning a post name to the webpage URL. Human-friendly URLs make it easier for both Google News bots and readers to recognize a page topic even before viewing it.
Every URL for your articles has to be permanent, such that it doesn’t change after inclusion in Google News. If the URL changes, there will be problems with the indexing in Google News, and your article might not be displayed.
Furthermore, URLs must be unique. If multiple articles have identical URLs, they can’t be included into Google News.
Use HTML for your content
Transcription for video
As we mentioned above bots only recognize HTML code. So, if you have some important video content, make it visible to the bots by creating a text description for it. If a video is the main content, include a transcription of it. With this approach, Google News crawlers will consider this content readable and suitable for inclusion.
Create another Google News Sitemap, specifically for your news pages. This will be in addition to your regular sitemap. This will help bots to find news articles on your website faster.
Here are some Google tips on how to create a news sitemap:
- Include publications posted in the last two days.
- Add less than 1,000 URLs.
- Refresh your sitemap every time you publish a new article.
After you have created a sitemap, upload it in the Search Console.
It is highly recommended to use Structured Data on your website news pages to improve your search ranking results and get into the Top stories block. Here is an example of how it looks in SERP, when a website is included in TOP stories:
Use Schema.org properties and types to mark up your content. Publishers have to select proper types for their content.
You will find more information on that topic here – https://moz.com/blog/structured-data-for-seo-2.
Your Robots.txt file contains rules for search engine crawlers to manage their activity on your website. You can specify bot’s types there and allow or disallow them from crawling. Robots.txt helps to decrease the number of bot requests to avoid overloading your website.
To allow access to your web pages for Google News crawler, make the following entry into your Robots.txt file:
This construction in Robots.txt file will tell the bot which folders of your website are suitable for crawling.
Read more about Robots.txt creation.
You can also use a meta tag to disallow a page, or parts of one, from appearing in Google News. You can do this by adding the ‘noindex’ meta tag to the HTML of your web page.
<meta name=”Googlebot-News” content=”noindex, nofollow”>
Read more about meta tags on Google Support pages.
How to get news pages crawled by Google Bot
There are three main steps on how to get news on Google.
- Create unique content for a specific industry.
- Follow Google’s technical guidelines and content policies.
- Submit your website for inclusion into Google News through Publisher Center.
It seems very easy. However, each step consists of many important stages, as mentioned above.
How do I get on Google News? Here is a summary of the requirements, followed by our conclusions.
- Niche websites are more welcomed in Google News than portals which cover a wide range of topics.
- Spelling and grammar are just as important as unique, meaningful content.
- Avoid being deceptive, both in content and in contact information.
- Don’t promote hate or violence. It is forbidden by Google News.
- Focus on core content, rather than on ads or PR.
- Website usability and ease of use are also important aspects in getting approval from the Google News team.
- Content updated daily is highly recommended.
- Article dates and bylines indicate transparency and authority.
- Articles from various authors are typically highly valuable when you apply to Google News.
- Text is preferable to non-text content. Multimedia content should be accompanied by text descriptions or even transcriptions.
- Following common SEO requirements for Google Search will improve your website position in Google News as well.
- Text descriptions for video and audio files will increase the chance that your content will get included into Google News.
- SEO-friendly URLs should be used for your web pages.
- HTML links are visible to crawlers, unlike graphic links.
- Use a Robots.txt file to give instructions to the Google News bot.
- Use Meta tags to close a page from indexing.
- Structured Data for a news website helps to get additional traffic from search results due to the separately placed blocks of marked-up content.
- An XML Google News sitemap helps bots find your new articles more quickly.
- Create bio pages for your authors, with their contact information, to foster trust.
- If any of your competitors are included in Google News, explore their experience and features.
- Ensure that your website is mobile-friendly, and loads quickly.
- Eliminate duplicate content on your website.
- Fix server errors if they constantly appear.
- Improve user experience by implementing the non-intrusive design, clear navigation, forms that are easy to fill in, etc.
Google bots “prefer” pages that load quickly, have high-quality content, and logical structure. By following our tips, you will have a better chance of successfully getting your website included in Google News. Use Google News Publisher or Producer for this purpose.
Once your website is approved, you will likely see an increase in organic traffic, in addition to Google Search. By doing so, you will attract new readers to your content.
📌 Read the Latest News Trends and Get Fresh updates as they drop via Twitter, Telegram and Facebook